Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Happy New Year Mixed Media Card

Hello everyone and thanks for stopping by today.  Deb here and I've got a quick tutorial for you on how I made my Happy New Year's mixed media card for our current challenge, New with the twist of Clocks.


If you recall, this is what my card looked like:


and here's the quick and easy tutorial!

I started out my colouring a piece of 110 lb white cardstock with multiple colours of Distress inks in various shades of blue with some drips and drops of water added.  The Distress inks are water reactive which is going to come in handy, more on that soon!


Next I stenciled the 'City Scapes' skyline and reflection stencil from Stencil Girl Products onto my prepared cardstock with Ranger Matte Texture paste and set it aside to dry.

And this is where the water reactive properties of the Distress inks come into play, as the texture paste dries the water in the paste reacts with the Distress inks, drawing some of the colour into the white paste.  An effortless way to coordinate your texture paste stenciled images perfectly!


It wouldn't be New Year's Eve without a fireworks display so I stamped 'The Works' fireworks stamp from Emerald Creek Craft Supplies multiple times, embossing it first with white embossing powder and then offsetting the stamp slightly and embossing it with gold and silver embossing powders.  I made sure to stamp a few light gold and silver fireworks down into the watery reflection at the bottom of the card.

To incorporate the clocks twist into my card, I die cut a Tim Holtz Movers and Shapers Pocket Watch from heavy cardsotck and embossed it with Emerald Creek Craft Supplies Hammered Metal embossing powder.  The midnight clock face was a digital image I had in my stash, so I just printed it out onto white card and punched it out with a circular punch.


The Happy New Year sentiment was die cut with Tim Holtz's Alphanumeric dies, once from black card and once from white, and the letters offset slightly to add a white highlight behind the sentiment.


And that was it!  I cut some gold metallic scrapbook paper about 1/4" larger on all sides than the embossed card and mounted it onto a card blank made from black cardstock.   Everything was adhered together and the card was complete.




Thanks for stopping by and hope you have been inspired to enter our New with the twist of Clocks challenge, you still have a few days to enter!  Can't wait to see what you make to link up and as always, happy creating!

Deb xo

4 comments:

  1. What a great tutorial Deb, I just love the fabulous cityscape stencil you used and the way the image looks against the beautiful blue background you created. You are so right too, the fireworks are just perfect! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne, the City Scape stencil is wonderful, have had it for awhile and not used it so glad to give it an outing! Deb xo

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the amazing tutorial, Deb! I love reading how you used your inks and texture paste. That stencil is fabulous, and your fireworks make this so festive! I love that you included them as a reflection, as well! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your details make the card!!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete